I am Lois Kam Heymann, a Speech-Language Pathologist, Author, Auditory Learning Specialist and Creator of play/learning programs for children, which enhance listening and language skills through play.
This blog is a place for sharing and learning about listening skills and how they are the foundational skills for children’s academic and social success. My goal has always been to help adults help the children in their care reach their highest potential.
This is a space to share knowledge and wisdom about child development in the 21st Century. My plan is to empower you to support the child(ren) in your care to become the best they can be.
Are you a parent, teacher, aunt, uncle, nanny, grandparent, friend, babysitter???? If you interact with children- this blog is for you.
First comes awareness, then knowledge and then the know-how.
Look for a blog post every Tuesday! Some of the topics we will cover in the next few months include:
- Technology and Kids: The good, the bad, the ugly.
- The Magic of Reading. Ways to read, what to read, and why to read.
- Play with Me. What toy and when. This is actually fun!
- Listen-UP! Listening games to teach those early listening skills kids need when entering school.
- It’s too Loud– Is their environment too noisy for learning?
- Music to my Ears. The importance of Rhythm and Rhyme.
- Nurturing Social Skills. The listening-speaking connection.
- Language Development. Ages and Stages
- Why Don’t They Listen? Is it a problem or is it behavior?